- ‘Mission Shakti’ was launched during the 15th Finance Commission period 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- Mission Shakti is an integrated women empowerment program. It was launched as an umbrella scheme for the safety, security, and empowerment of women for implementation.
- It is for the Safety and Security of Women.
- It consists of schemes of One Stop Centre (OSC), Women Helpline (WHL), Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP), with a new component of Nari Adalats – women’s collectives to promote and facilitate alternative dispute resolution and gender justice in society and within families.
- It is for the Empowerment of Women.
- It consists of erstwhile schemes of Ujjwala, Swadhar Greh, and Working Women Hostel have been included with modifications.
- In addition, the existing schemes of the National Creche Scheme for children of working mothers and Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) under the umbrella of Integrated Child Development Services ICDS have now been included in Samarthya.
- A new component of Gap Funding for Economic Empowerment has also been added in the Samarthya Scheme.
What are the Services & Activities Involved?
Emergency/ Immediate services & short-term care:
National toll-free number and integrated services such as temporary shelter, legal aid, psycho-social counselling, medical assistance, police facilitation and link them with existing services etc. through One Stop Centres.
Institutional Care for long term support:
- Taking care of the needs of women right from the conception stage till the time they need such care and support.
- SakhiNiwas or Working Women Hostel will provide a safe and secure place for working women.
Behaviour Change Communication for dignity and prevention of crime and violence against women:
- This would include large-scale awareness programs and community engagement for gender sensitization.
- In addition, engaging with men and boys would be done to partner for countering violence against women and Gender stereotypes.
Objectives of Mission Shakti:
- Provide immediate and comprehensive continuum of care, support, and assistance to women affected by violence and for those in distress.
- To put in place quality mechanisms for rescue, protection, and rehabilitation of women in need of assistance and victims of crime and violence.
- To improve accessibility to various government services available for women at various levels.
- Making people aware of Government schemes and programs as well as legal provisions to fight social evils like dowry, domestic violence, and Sexual Harassment at the Workplace and to promote gender equality, etc.
- Collaboration with partner Ministries/ Departments/ States/ UTs for convergence of policies, programs/ schemes and to create an enabling environment for public-private partnership for the safety and empowerment of women across sectors.
- To prevent gender-biased sex selective elimination; to ensure survival, protection, education, and development of the girl child.
- It also seeks to reduce the care burden on women and increase female labor force participation by promoting skill development, capacity building, financial literacy, access to microcredit, etc.
Other two umbrella schemes:
- About the Scheme: Mission Vatsalya will be looking into child welfare services and child protection services all over the country.
- Schemes covered under this: Mission Vatsalya will include the Scheme for Child Protection Services, a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
Saksham Anganwadi and Mission POSHAN 2.0 scheme:
- Schemes covered under this: This will include schemes such as Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS), Anganwadi Services, Poshan Abhiyan, Scheme for Adolescent Girls, and National Creche Scheme among others.
- Mission Poshan 2.0: The government will be merging the Poshan Abhiyan and supplementary nutrition program to launch Mission Poshan 2.0.
- Objective: Mission Poshan 2.0 will look into the ways and measures for strengthening the nutritional content, outreach, delivery, and outcomes.