The Rashtriya Gokul Mission was launched as an initiative to develop and conserve the indigenous bovine breeds to improve milk production and productivity in a scientific manner which includes superior nutrition and farm management.
- To develop and conserve the indigenous breeds.
- To initiate a breed improvement program for improving the genetic makeup.
- To improve and increase milk production and productivity.
- Use of elite indigenous breeds like Gir, Sahiwal, Rathi, Deoni, Tharparkar, and Red Sindhi for upgrading nondescript cattle.
- To distribute disease-free high genetic merit bulls for natural service.
Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying
Initiatives under Rashtriya Gokul Mission:
- Awards for encouraging farmers/breeder societies to rear Indigenous breeds of bovines:
- Gopal Ratna awards: for farmers maintaining the best herd of Indigenous Breed and practicing best management practices.
- Kamdhenu awards: for best-managed Indigenous herd by Institutions/Trusts/ NGOs/ Gaushalas or best-managed Breeders’ societies.
- Gokul Gram: The Rashtriya Gokul Mission envisages the establishment of integrated cattle development centers, ‘Gokul Grams’ to develop indigenous breeds including up to 40% nondescript breeds (belonging or appearing to belong to no particular class or kind) with objectives to:
- Promote indigenous cattle rearing and conservation scientifically
- Propagate high genetic merit bulls of indigenous breeds.
- Optimize modern Farm Management practices and promote Common Resource Management.
- Utilize animal waste in an economical way i.e. Cow Dung, Cow Urine.
- National Kamdhenu Breeding Centre: (NKBC) is being established as a Centre of Excellence to develop and conserve Indigenous Breeds holistically and scientifically.
- “E-Pashu Haat”- Nakul Prajnan Bazaar: An e-market portal connecting breeders and farmers, for quality- disease-free bovine germplasm.
- Pashu Sanjivni: An animal wellness program encompassing the provision of animal health cards (‘Nakul Swasthya Patra’) along with UID identification and uploading data on the National Database.
- Advanced Reproductive Technology: Including Assisted Reproductive Technique- In-vitro Fertilization (IVF)/ Multiple Ovulation Embryo Transfer (MOET) and sex-sorted semen technique to improve the availability of disease-free female bovines.
- National Bovine Genomic Center for Indigenous Breeds (NBGC-IB) will be established for the selection of breeding bulls of high genetic merit at a young age using highly precise gene-based technology.
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission will be implemented through the “State Implementing Agency (SIA viz Livestock Development Boards).
- State Gauseva Ayogs will be given the mandate to sponsor proposals to the SIAs (LDBs) and monitor the implementation of the sponsored proposal.
- All Agencies having a role in indigenous cattle development will be the “Participating Agencies” like ICAR, Universities, Colleges, NGOs, Cooperative Societies, and Gaushalas.